TAFE SA entry requirements
TAFE SA courses offered through SATAC have Course Admission Requirements (CAR) which all applicants must meet in order to be eligible for selection. CAR differ according to the level and type of course.
Course Admission Requirements
Courses may be considered competitive if there are limited places available, or non-competitive if all interested and qualified students will be accepted.
Admission requirements for competitive courses are either:
- satisfactory demonstration of reading, writing and numeracy skills by undertaking the Core Skills Profile for Adults (CSPA), or
- satisfactory demonstration of reading, writing and numeracy skills by undertaking the Core Skills Profile for Adults (CSPA) and satisfactory performance in an audition/written assessment/portfolio.
Most Certificate IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma courses do not have any CAR, but some courses may require a lower level Certificate. SACE completion or equivalent is a requirement for some courses.
There are no CAR for non-competitive Certificate I, II and III level courses at TAFE SA.
Students are required to demonstrate satisfactory reading, writing and numeracy skills as part of course counselling before enrolling in a TAFE SA course.
Information about the CSPA and admission requirements for individual courses is available at www.tafesa.edu.au.
Selection into competitive TAFE SA courses
Where there are more eligible applicants for a TAFE SA course than there are places available, applicants are ranked in merit order for selection.
For courses requiring the CSPA, selection is based on the CSPA score. For courses with CSPA and an internal assessment component, selection is based on the internal assessment score.
Sometimes a course without CAR will have more applicants than places available. In these cases, selection will be based on earliest date of application.
TAFE SA Selection Score
The TAFE SA Selection Score may be used for selection into some courses. It is reported to students completing the SACE and is calculated from the scaled scores of the best 40 Stage 2 credits of Tertiary Admissions Subjects (TAS) plus the best outcome from either:
- the score of a third 20 credit TAS or Recognised Studies
or any two of the following:
- half the score of another 20 credit TAS or Recognised Studies
- the score of a 10 credit TAS or Recognised Studies
- the score of another 10 credit TAS or Recognised Studies.
The TAFE SA Selection Score is reported to students in the score range 0–60.0.
- scaled scores of 0.0 cannot be counted in the calculation of the TAFE SA Selection Score
- there is no limit to the number of 10 credit TAS that can contribute to the TAFE SA Selection Score
- counting restrictions are not used in the calculation of the TAFE SA Selection Score.
Information about selection into competitive courses is available at www.tafesa.edu.au.