Enabling courses give students the skills they need to study at higher education level. They are sometimes called foundation studies or preparation courses.
If you have completed an enabling course you might be eligible to apply for an undergraduate course. To be eligible, your course must be recognised by the institutions and be at least 6 months in duration.
There are lots of different enabling courses available so it's not possible to list them all here. Contact SATAC or the institution to find out whether your course is recognised.
There are different eligibility rules for using an enabling course to apply. Use course search to check if enabling courses/programs can be used for entry to the courses you are interested in.
In most cases, your selection rank is based on the duration of the course you have completed.
Charles Darwin University
You are eligible to apply for most courses if you have completed a recognised enabling course of at least 6 months' duration
You are eligible to apply for most courses if you have completed a recognised enabling course and:
- You do not hold a completed higher education level award
- If you studied at higher education level in 2021 or 2022 you have not accumulated more than a total of two full-time years of higher education study, including any study completed before 2021
If you completed the Flinders Foundation course, your selection rank is based on your level of achievement within the course as determined by the University.
The University of Adelaide
Some University of Adelaide courses consider enabling courses as a pathway. Wirltu Yarlu offers preparation programs at the University for Indigenous students - contact the University for further details.
University of South Australia
You are eligible to apply to most courses if you have completed a recognised enabling course of at least 6 months' duration and:
- You are 18 years of age or older before 1 February (for Study Period 2) or 1 July (for Study Period 5) in the year of admission
- You have not accumulated more than two full-time years of higher education level study
- You have not completed a TAFE/VET award at AQF Diploma level or above
If you have completed the UniSA Foundation Studies program, your selection rank may be based on your level of achievement within the program, as well as its duration.
SAIBT, Tabor and Torrens University Australia
You are eligible to apply if you have completed a recognised enabling course of at least 6 months' duration.