Financial assistance for students

The Department of Human Services provides financial help to eligible students who are studying full-time or part-time through payments such as Youth Allowance, Austudy and ABSTUDY. 

General information about Youth Allowance, Austudy and ABSTUDY is given below. Full details of payments and the eligibility criteria are available at the  Department of Human Services website. The following information is correct as at July 2017.

Youth Allowance, Austudy and ABSTUDY

Youth Allowance provides financial assistance to students who are studying an approved course full-time, undertaking a full-time Australian Apprenticeship or training and/or looking for work. 

The rate of Youth Allowance paid to students who are dependent on their parents is based on the application of the Parental Means Test. Students aged 22 years or older are considered independent. This means their parents’ financial situation is not taken into account. There are also other criteria for classifying a student as independent other than age.

Austudy provides assistance to students aged 25 and older who are studying an approved full-time course. The Parental Means Test does not apply to Austudy. A partner and personal income and asset test will apply.

Students claiming Youth Allowance or Austudy can claim online at the Department of Human Services website.

ABSTUDY helps Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who want to stay at school or go on to further studies. ABSTUDY is available if you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person who undertakes approved full-time or part-time study. ABSTUDY consists of a fortnightly means-tested living allowance, as well as additional components, to help with the costs associated with study.

For more information about ABSTUDY, visit the  Department of Human Services website or call the ABSTUDY line on 132 317.

Pensioner Education Supplement and ABSTUDY Pensioner Education Supplement

The Pensioner Education Supplement helps people undertake full-time or part-time study. To receive the Pensioner Education Supplement you must be enrolled in an approved course and receive specific Department of Human Services or Department of Veterans’ Affairs payments.

For more information about the Pensioner Education Supplement visit  the Department of Human Services website.

Further information

For further information and to find out if you are eligible and how to make a claim, visit the Department of Human Services website.

Back to top